Monday, April 23, 2012

A Brisket (or roast)

One of my least favorite things to eat has been any kind of roast.  The taste is dry and has a "roast-y" flavor I have never enjoyed.  It ends up rolling around in my mouth, chewing and chewing and then a big wad in the side of my cheek that never gets swallowed.

My Beloved husband has always loved a good roast, however, and in trying to be a model wife I have searched out recipes I thought he would enjoy and hoped I might be able to tolerate.  The following recipe is one I found in my Jewish cookbook for brisket.  Since I didn't have a brisket, I swapped it out for a chuck roast.  In serving it for our shabbat meal, even I had to say that I really and truly enjoyed it.  It was tender, falling off the bone, and for the standard "roast-y" taste, the sauce covered it up and made it into an almost bar-b-que flavor.

Try it out!

Beef brisket (or a chuck roast)
1 (10-ounce) bottle teriyaki sauce
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Place the brisket in a baking pan (or I used a crockpot).  Cover with ketchup and pour entire bottle of teriyaki sauce over it.  Pour onion soup mix on top of meat and sprinkle over it with brown sugar.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees (2 1/2 hours for 7 pounds of meat) (for about 2 to 3 pounds, cook for about 1 hour).  In a crockpot with about 2 to 3 pounds of chuck roast, as I used, cook on low for about six hours.

Please note, a brisket takes longer to cook than a roast, so make sure you account for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment