Monday, April 23, 2012

Meat Loaf Patties with Pan Gravy

It seems like I have been cooking things I really don't care for lately, but I am convinced if I can find that superstar recipe there will be absolutely nothing my family and I don't like.  I guess it doesn't always hold true, but meat loaf is another one of my nemeses.  Don't like.  Don't want to.

I did, however, find a recipe that makes the meat loaf bearable.  It is a little involved, but really quite easy.

Meat loaf patties
1 1/3 lean ground sirloin (or just regular beef, as I used)
3 T. bread crumbs
1/8 cup milk (just a splash)
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. grill seasoning blend
1 rounded T. tomato paste
1 med., finely chopped onion (reserve 1/4)

Place ground sirloin into large mixing bowl and create a well in the center.  Fill with bread crumbs and dampen with milk.  Pour egg over bread crumbs and add grill seasoning, tomato paste and 3/4 of the onion.  Mix until combined.  Form into four large oval patties (or as many smaller ones as you wish).

Pan fry meat loaf patties in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes on each side under a loose tin foil tent.  This reflects the heat and allows steam to escape.  Removie patties to a platter and follow recipe for the gravy.

Three-condiment Pan Gravy
Pan drippings from meat loaf
2 T. butter
1/4 onion (reserved from meat loaf recipe)
2 T. flour
1 - 1 1/2 beef stock
1 T. ketchup
1 T. steak sauce
1 rounded tsp. spicy brown mustard

After removing patties from skillet, add butter and onion to pan drippings and reduce heat.  Cook for two minutes, then sprinkle with flour (watch carefully to not burn up drippings).  Cook for another minute, then whisk in one cup of beef stock.  Bring to a bubble.  If gravy is too thick, add stock.  Stir in ketchup, steak sauce and mustard.  Remove from heat and drizzle over meat loaf patties.

Serve with mashed potatoes drenched with the gravy and your favorite green vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment